I have seen Nick excited for a lot of things, but nothing compares to how excited he was to see the Prime Meridian of the World. I had to have a review on what exactly that was, and Nick was shocked because he has "dreamed of seeing it since he was a kid." Who knew?!?!
Well the Prime Meridian is a line of longitude at zero degrees that separates the earth into two hemispheres and gives us directions of East and West. I was impressed that Nick knew so much history of this imaginary line and how early sailors used it for orientation and it is even used in construction. Again, who knew?!?..I certainly did not know.
We had to climb the steepest hill in all of England to see this line!! It is located in Greenwich, outside of London, and despite the climb to the top it did offer an amazing view of the city of London. Nick couldn't contain his excitement and sprinted up this hill. Nathan and I were laughing so hard watching him that I could hardly make it up the hill myself.
We made it up the hill
The worthwhile view. Down below in all the greenspace is where all the equestrian events for the 2012 summer Olympics were held.
See that red line...there it is!! Sadly, the gates were locked to go inside, but Nick was still excited to see it.
Not everyone can say they have shared a kiss from different hemispheres
Two places at once!
We soaked it all in by finally resting our feet!
The royal observatory behind us
Such a beautiful park at the bottom of that massive hill
Just a perfect day!
Seriously, Greenwich had the most adorable sweet shop. Of course we had to buy some of the famous black currant bon bon candy that is the most popular treat of the locals.
This guy told us his front tooth rotted out from all the sugar and candy he eats!!
Greenwich was perfect. Nick can check this off his boyhood dreams list :)

No comments:
Post a Comment