The second port was Belize City, Belize. Love this place. I had been here once before but it was sooo incredibly hot and humid that it was a blur. So an overcast and slightly rainy day was actually nice for a change. We picked an excursion that had us on a 40 minute boat ride, driving Landrovers through the jungle, and then exploring caves that were only recently found about 10 years ago. We had such a great time in Belize. The people are so friendly and I love how they speak! Any word that ends in "-er" they replace it with "-a". So in the blog title it says..."you betta' see it to Belize it." If you were to say better, they would have looked at you like you are crazy!
On the boat ride we saw a barracuda, tons of fish, huge lizards, and even a crocodile!
Here is what one of the huge lizards looked like. They blended in with the tree branches very well and they were all over the place.
We got of the boat at beautiful farmer's grove of trees. This picture doesn't do it justice, but I loved seeing all the surrounding flowers and plants.
We shared the Landrover with one other couple. Nick is the passenger in the picture, as the driver was on the right side--so it was a little more difficult to figure out the stick shift :)
I did not want to drive! Instead I had a bumpy ride in the back through all the muddy trails of the jungle.
After about a 45 minute ride of dodging tree branches and holding on for my life, we made it to the base camp where we would hike to the caves. This is when the rain started!
And, man did it sure rain! Nothing like a hot jungle rain to make your clothes stick right to you.
The caves were pretty remarkable. They only were discovered about 10 years ago and I was surprised at how much they would let you crawl all over the rocks and explore on your on. After seeing a HUGE spider and too many bats to count, I decided to stay close to the path.
After a rainy afternoon it was nice to come back and clean up for the night. Dinner was great each night, and we really lucked out by getting such a great couple to eat dinner with. We of course went to the entertainment and comedy shows each night, and was so tired by 1am we collapsed in bed only to do it all over again the next day.

No comments:
Post a Comment