Nick's temporary home this summer has been Freeport, Texas. I should use the word home more loosely as his tiny one bedroom apartment leaves much to be desired, but at least there is an end in sight---3 weeks! When he tells people that his apartment is on Avenue J the common response is, "You live in J block-wow!" I am so grateful that after my convincing Nick to live as cheaply as possible so we could save some money this summer-he agreed to live in an apartment where the monthly rent is a $100 less than his weekly stipend from work to live! It has been nice to save so much more money that we were anticipating this summer, however it is coming with some sacrifice on his part. Just let these photos doing the explaining.
The 'living room' -aka-Nick's office
Fully equipped with: a boom box, lap top, soap box for paper storage, and a camping chair

The Bedroom:
And people say I don't know how to rough it! I sleep on a cot every time I go visit! So romantic, right?!?
Fully Equipped with: "wood" floors, black-out curtain, comfy bedding, box fan, and even a walk in closet (not pictured)

The Kitchen:
Probably my most favorite part of this apartment (not!!)
Fully Equipped with: Cupboards that are painted/caulked shut, a leaky sink, no microwave, no handle to open the oven door, a fridge door that opens out so you can't get around it to get anything out, and a cockroach or two in the pantry.

Other features of this complex include: a laundromat infested by mosquitos at night, a pool that does have pool furniture out because it will get stolen, bars on the office window, and a rule that does not allow for two people to be standing outside together after 10pm or the cops will be called. At least the apartment door has two deadbolts and another lock that will only function if the door is just in the right spot!
It goes without saying that I think Nick will be more than excited to come home at the end of the summer, because I know I sure am every time I make the trip to visit him. Yes, the saying "Home is where the heart is"--is true, however home is also where you can be safe, be comfortable, and where you want to be! 3 more weeks---Yippee!
No comments:
Post a Comment